Three Princes and a Princess

Our Journey to Gabriella Lin.....one step at a time.....

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Thursday in Nanchang, Jiangxi

Yesterday was our last full day in Nanchang and we were on our own as our guide was busy with another family.  We had plans to take a taxi to a walking park but the weather was really cold and windy.  We had a good morning but got a little stir-crazy so we decided to make out on our own and walk the 10-minutes down the street to where the McDonald's and a market called RT Mart is.  Let me explain that we have largely been cooped up in our hotel because our hotel is in a VERY busy urban area and crossing the street is VERY, VERY, VERY harrowing.  But we were desperate so off we set on our adventure.  I am still not used to being stared at so openly by the local people here.  Almost everyone stares at us, some with interest some with disdain, some shout things at us and others even go as far as to touch Ellie.  But we made it to RT Mart and decided if we were going to be stared at anyway we might as well take some pictures to remember this by. Anyone care to play guess that potato chip variety?  We saw tomato, shrimp, pickle, lobster, butter and MANY others we could not identify. 




At the store we picked up these treats to celebrate our last night in Nanchang.  The chips and wine were much needed and very good.......sorry no leftovers....



We then made it over to McD and Ellie had her first official Happy Meal (with me anyway) and Heather and I enjoyed a coffee and pineapple pie (not apple pie!). 




We took a few pictures on the way home to show the area we were in.  I really can't describe how busy and full the streets are with cars, mopeds and bikes and it is like that all day and night with horns honking too for added fun. 



We made it home just fine and Miss E took a great nap.  She had such a good day yesterday, her crying periods were much shorter and it seems I am learning my way with her to help.  I am not naive enough to think we are out of the woods but progress is progress and I will take it. 

So after eating at McDonald's, I thought I would round out the American experience and let Ellie play some toddler apps on my tablet and later she watched a bit of a video on my phone.  (Don't judge, these bought me about 20 minutes total of relative rest from entertaining my busy little love). 




Just a cute picture........so amazed by my girl's strength and resiliency.



We are getting pretty good at communicating though some words and gestures.  Ellie waves and says bye-bye now to her brothers on skype and she calls them gah-gah (brothers).  When I ask her if I can have a kiss, she knows what I am asking and gives me one, amazing how quickly she is learning.  Before bedtime she  gave me my phone indicating she wanted to watch a show and then put her arms up to me so she could sit with me. 




Do you know where I write these blog posts?  Sitting on towels on the bathroom floor usually around 3-4 AM China time because I can't sleep.  Jet-lag is really kicking my butt as I am not able to sleep more than 3-4 hours a night and the bags under my eyes now have bags of their own, just sayin. Today (Friday) we will go get Ellie's passport and head to the airport to catch a 2 PM flight to Guangzhou, Guangdong Province (go ahead and look at the map I posted below).  We will be staying in an area called Shaiman Island which is where the US Consulate is located.  I am so excited because it is a much quieter atmosphere and a bit more Western friendly.  I have enjoyed this week of my trip but think we will all do a bit better with the freedom to walk around outside more without fear of traffic.  I am also excited to be able to have more choices for food as I am sadly, not an adventurous eater and after a week here I am positively starving! Today also marks the half-way point in our trip, I cannot wait to see my boys again, skyping twice a day just isn't the same as being with them.

I do feel a bit of sadness leaving behind the province of my daughter's birth, I hope I have captured enough of it to share with her as she gets older.  Thanks for all the support from home and if you see my boys, give them a squeeze from their mommy!

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you guys are doing great! Greetings from Beijing, where we are preparing to head out to our daughter's province in a couple of days...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just can't say it enough...Ellie is beautiful! I just can't wait to meet her in person!

    All is well on this front. J is keeping T busy. Theyre going to spend the day together tomorrow doing some "project".

    Enjoy your day!
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's so cute! I will not judge at all as I use my phone to keep my girls busy a lot when we are in public! :) Heard today it's probably going to be at least another 2 weeks on my LOA! We have officially waited twice as long as you had to wait! :( I'm glad you are keeping me so informed though so I will know what to do when the time comes! Keep the updates coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omgosh, she is too precious for words!! What an incredible journey with such a great reward.

    ReplyDelete